Burning Spear: Dry And Heavy - 1977


Even more full of ganga-inspired, bucolic bliss is the bright and optimistic sound of this excellent album. 

Once again, musically, it is top notch and while the bass is deep, dubby and heavy (as of course it should be) it doesn't vibrate your speakers and move the pictures on your wall. It seemed as if Spear had settled down considerably by now, a lot of the righteous ire of Marcus Garvey had been diluted, no doubt by more time in the hills grinding coffee and enjoying the invigorating qualities of the sacred herb. 

It was an album that showed that roots reggae, even within its stylistic limitations, could be sonically attractive and at times deceptively beautiful. This is a fine-sounding reggae album. 

Highlights are Black Disciples, Dry And Heavy, Shout It Out, Throw Down Your Arms, Any River and The Sun.

Secondary, 2 of 3

Also mighty crucial from Burning Spear are Marcus's Children from 1978 and Living Dub from 1979.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles