Sam Cooke: Portrait Of A Legend


This compilation covers material recorded between 1951 and 1964 and is probably the definitive compilation of Sam Cooke’s work. The sound on it is excellent, considering the late fifties-early sixties dates of the recordings. 

I remember reading once that Rod Stewart spent a period in the late sixties-early seventies listening to nothing else but Sam Cooke. He was probably exaggerating a bit, but you can sort of understand where he was coming from. 

The man just had the most mellifluous, beautiful, sweet soul voice. He made any song he touches something special, even some of the more twee, cheesy ones are raised up skywards in his hands. He certainly was one of the best soul singers the world has ever known and never quite got the credit he fully deserved. 

My favourites are What A Wonderful World, Chain Gang, Another Saturday Night, Just For You, Cupid, Bring It On Home To Me, Meet Me at Mary's Place, Twistin' The Night Away, Shake, Good Times and Havin' A Party. All spirit-raising soulful stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles