The Beat: I Just Can't Stop It - 1980

 

The Beat slightly lagged behind Madness, The Selecter and The Specials (the other main two-tone groups) in putting out their first album. They had some singles out before, however, The Tears Of A Clown and Mirror In The Bathroom, so they had gained an audience and this was quite an anticipated album. Personally, The Beat were my favourite two-tone band. They were a six-piece and featured veteran fifty-plus (at the time) saxophonist, "Saxa". They had an ear for a melody and also for a wry, observational and culturally relevant lyric. 

The music was essentially ska, full of lilting guitar licks, dub infuences and that deep, gloriously tuneful saxophone wailing away beneath nearly every tune. 

They were great live too. I remember being up at the front at one of their gigs and singing the "Saxa oh la - good God!" bit in Jackpot to Ranking Roger as he sang it straight back to me, smiling. This debut album was, like many debut albums from the period, was upbeat, "in your face" and following the punk feel of debuts by The Clash, The Jam and Stiff Little Fingers. The pace doesn't let up for pretty much all of what is a breackneck ride. 

The album kicks off with two stonking hit singles - the staccato Mirror In The Bathroom and the lively, catchy Hands Off...She's MineTwo Swords is a cynical, socially aware anti-fascist "message" song done in an almost punky style and Twist And Crawl is a short, sharp frantic ska rocker, as is Click Click

Both Rough Rider and Jackpot are pure Jamaican-influenced organ-driven, irresistibly melodious skankers. Big Shot and Noise In This World are also upbeat rockers and Best Friend was a catchy, rhythmic single. 

Whine and Grine/Stand Down Margaret was superbly, rebelliously political at the time, demanding the resignation of UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Yes, many people probably won't get the meaning these days. It really meant something back then. We all loved it.

The album's one slow song, Can't Get Used To Losing You, was a cover of a sixties hit for Andy Williams, but it works exceptionally well, with an excellent vocal from the talented Dave Wakeling. 

The sound is good on the latest remaster and any play of this will guarantee to put a bit of a spring back into your step. They were right, they just couldn't stop it. The vibe continues from beginning to end of this excellent album. Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles