Burning Spear: Man In The Hills - 1976

 

After its cult-status predecessor (certainly in UK reggae-punk crossover circles) this was a credible follow-up, although it was noticeably more pastoral, relaxed and chilled-out than its incendiary and righteous forebear. 

This is highlighted by the title track, Man In The Hills, which champions a rural existence over an urban one, just as Jacob Miller did with his "Rasta c'yaan live in no tenement yard" sentiment. 

Door Peep, released as Spear's first, unsuccessful single, actually dated from back in 1969, when Winston Rodney, after a surprise meeting with Bob Marley while out waking in the fields, decided to go to Studio One to promote his work. 

Other highlights are No More War, Lion, People Get Ready and Black Soul. I like this album a lot, it has a nice sound quality to it, melodic basslines and a subtle vibe that is infectious. Not sure about the strange green head cover though! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles