Joni Mitchell: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - 1977

 

This was a somewhat sprawling, very experimental acquired taste of a double album here from Joni.

It was made so, to a great extent, by the side long and possibly indulgent (only in places, I might add) of Paprika Plains, which is probably eight or so minutes too long, at sixteen of them. I love the superb rock drums and clarinet bit fourteen minutes in though! Knock eight minutes off and you have a great track.

Mitchell said of it -

"....the Improvisational, the spontaneous aspect of this creative process – still as a poet – is to set words to the music, which is a hammer and chisel process. Sometimes it flows, but a lot of times it's blocked by concept. And if you're writing free consciousness – which I do once in a while just to remind myself that I can, you know, because I'm fitting little pieces of this puzzle together – the end result must flow as if it was spoken for the first time...."

Ok, now I get it, Joni 😕

Other than this, the music largely continues in the same vein as its predecessor, although the emphasis is more on noodly, improvised jazz stylings and rhythmic innovations than before. Jaco Pastorius is still on bass, however, which is never a bad thing. 

Overall I prefer the more concise, cohesive vibe of Hejira, but I have to concede that there are several hidden depths to be found within this album's detailed tapestries that demand repeated listens. Overture - Cotton Avenue is an excellent, jazzy and sleepy opener that builds on the sound found on HejiraJericho is beautifully jazzy in that smoky, late night bassy fashion that Joni and her musicians do so well. 

Otis And Marlena is an intriguing track, as is Talk To Me, and Joni's musicians dabble in African rhythms on the intoxicating The Tenth World - a track that can't really be credited to Mitchell - and also on the excellent Aboriginal-inspired Dreamland (that features Chaka Khan on vocals). Paul Simon must have been influenced by this, surely? Even Joni's phrasing and vocal delivery sounds like him. 

The vaguely Dylan and Van Morrison-esque stream of consciousness Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is a fine track too, as is the gently seductive Off Night Backstreet, with its sumptuous bass line. The Silky Veils Of Ardour see a return to Joni backed by a lone guitar in the style of some of her material from the early seventies. 

A notable thing that becomes apparent on this album in particular is just how much her voice has changed over the years - it is now much deeper, more mature and has lost that up and down/high and low thing that she used so much in the early days. 

Overall, the jazzy expressiveness that would be given free rein on Mingus, two years later, began here, for sure. It is probably worth saying that this album was released at the height of punk. A more incongruous offering you couldn't hope to hear - but it is a thoroughly intriguing one.

Comments

  1. This is a half-great one cuz it's a double but there's only really about two good sides altogether. The big long song Paprika Plains is great all the way through and that takes up a whole side. Then there's about four other good ones that would add up to another side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song Jericho that you said is a live track is only a live track on her live album Miles of Aisles, but the one here is a studio re-recording. I like the live one better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I bring the album up on Deezer, it credits Jericho as being "live at Universal Amphitheater, Los Angeles". Maybe it was one of those "live" tracks where they edited off all audience noise, so it plays out like a studio track. Or maybe it was just a studio track, as you say. Wikipedia was no use, it just said "Jericho had previously appeared on the 'Miles Of Aisles' live album".

      Delete
  3. Nah, they're two different tracks and they have different instrumentation and everything and they're sung differently too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. They must be mis-labelled on Deezer.

      Delete
  4. It's weird because usually someone does the studio version first and then the live version later. But this one the song first appeared on a live album and then years later she made a studio version. I can't think of another example like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Springsteen has done quite a few - Because The Night, Fire, 41 Shots, Land Of Hope And Dreams. All appeared first as live versions.

      Delete
  5. Wow he had a lot of them. I always heard that he did a live version of Carole King's Goin' Back and one time I looked for it on one of his live albums but it wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never come across that one. He has played loads of stuff live so it may be on a bootleg somewhere.

      Delete
  6. Actually I just looked on Spotify and they have it. I never really thought of looking there before. It's on a compilation from 2020 called Songs Undercover Vol. 2. But it was from 1975.


    https://open.spotify.com/track/7bI7kcQDzmrbdIVHAMHVtG?si=LasZQZbwTRG45B-mdfV99Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just listening to it. It is done in a very Darkness on the Edge Of Town style. Bruce has a wide taste and a real knowledge of other artist's stuff. He has the enthusiasm of a fan, which I guess he is. He has covered lots of songs live.

      Delete
  7. Yeah it sounded pretty good although I like it better when it's done faster. I also listened to the cover of Johnny Rivers' Mountain of Love cuz I love that song. There's some other really interesting songs on there I'll probably listen to it tonight

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles