UB40: Labour Of Love II - 1989

Released in 1989, I love this album, possibly even more so than the wonderful Labour Of Love 1. It is full of atmospheric covers of reggae classics delivered by Ali Campbell’s unique voice. Despite never having been remastered the sound is still good. I lived in Moseley, Birmingham, at the time and it is so evocative of that part of the city. 

Highlights for me are their versions of Lord Creator’s Kingston TownHoney Boy’s Sweet CherrieSmokey Robinson’s The Way You Do The Things You Do; a superbly bassy, toasty take on John Holt’s Wear You To The Ball  and The Kingstonian’s Singer ManTears From My Eyes and the laid-back but catchy Groovin' are both most attractively covered while Wedding Day and Impossible Love are sweet, soulful hartbrreakers. 

Homely Girl is lovely too. Here I Am Baby (originally done by soul legend Al Green) is a great brassy opener and Ken Boothe's Just Another Girl is a sad serving of embryonic lovers' rock. John Holt's Stick By Me is an instantly infectious one while Baby has a hooky, staccato drum beat. It is just a very pleasurable album. 

Also fun is to search out the originals and make a “Jamaican Labour Of Love” playlist. The originals can't be beaten, to be honest, but UB40, as was their habit, treated the material respectfully and all the covers are more than acceptable. They grew up with these songs and their love for them comes over loud and clear.

Secondary, 2 of 15 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles