Tom Waits: Frank's Wild Years - 1987

Finally, in the trilogy that includes Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs comes this, an album I remember buying back then and feeling somewhat underwhelmed by it. Have I changed my opinion? 

Yes and no. It is an intriguing, grower of an atmospheric album like Swordfishtrombones, for sure, but it still has little bit of a shapelessness to it (not nearly as much as there was on Swordfish, though. I like this album better). Overall, however, I guess I am just not as sold on the eclectic Waits as I am on the bluesy one. 

Anyway - I'm shapelessly rambling myself - the highlights are the rumbling Hang On St. Christopher, the slow ballad Yesterday Is Here, the rumba shuffles of Temptation and Straight To The Top (Rhumba) along with the Germanic barroom ballad Innocent When You Dream but overall the album, intended as a mini-opera, just doesn't really convince, remaining as a bit of a curio.

Popular posts from this blog

Faces: Faces At The BBC (Live)

Dr. Feelgood: Down By The Jetty - 1975

Eric Clapton & Friends: The Breeze - An Appreciation Of J. J. Cale - 2014

U2: Songs Of Innocence - 2014

The Who: Who Are You - 1978

Eric Clapton & J. J. Cale: The Road To Escondido - 2006

Van Morrison: Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast - 1984

Eric Clapton: Eric Clapton - 1970

Trojan Presents: The Spirit Of '69

Mud: A's, B's & Rarities