I-Roy: Heart Of A Lion - 1978


As we now know, I-Roy was another of the great DJ-toasters who chanted-growled-semi-sung their lyrics over backing dub-style rhythms. 

His contemporaries were Prince Far IBig Youth and U-Roy, to name but three from a burgeoning mid to late seventies genre. I-Roy’s toasting is more tuneful and easy on the ear than Prince Far I’s croaky, growling, deep spoken preaching. I Roy is semi-singing, his voice is higher in pitch and more mellifluous. He is far more similar to U-Roy, but with a more attractive, appealing voice (only slightly, I must point out).

Casmas Town is a classic of the genre - packed of “riddim”, wonderful rim shots, skanking rhythms coming and going and an instinctive vocal that interacts perfectly with the music. I find I-Roy’s lyrics and delivery far less “fire and brimstone” and “preachy” than Prince Far I’s. His concerns are Rastafarian ones, but he diversifies considerably and rambles on about all manner of things (admittedly often incomprehensible!). 

Sister Nelly has a winning melody, killer bassline and a lilting skank, as with much of I-Roy's material. It uses a bit of "London Bridge is Falling down" in its lyrics. Catty Rock is similarly accessible. As with so many of these albums, the instrumentation is top quality. Love is a subject he enjoys, unlike some of the more devout toasters. Tonight is a toasting love song, with another mesmeric rhythm and a superb deep and echoey vocal, at times, which was slightly different from his usual, lighter vocal.

Roots is never far from I-Roy's mind though and he adapts The Melodians' Rivers Babylon to great effect on the insistent, rumbling Jordan RiverFire Stick is equally righteous (I think - it's pretty incomprehensible, lyrically. There must be a religious allegory in there somewhere!) but also lightly catchy, with, guess what? Another superb bass. 

Peace In The City is most definitely on the message on a deep, brooding skank. Tiddle Le Bop returns to the lighter, jaunty style that I-Roy also enjoyed, but this varied album closes with the haunting roots of Move Up Roots Man

Overall, this was a highly enjoyable roots album with a fresh breeziness to it.

Also notable releases from I-Roy are his debut, Gussie Presenting I-Roy from 1973 and the fabulously bassy Musical Shark Attack from 1976.

Popular posts from this blog

Faces: Faces At The BBC (Live)

Dr. Feelgood: Down By The Jetty - 1975

Eric Clapton & Friends: The Breeze - An Appreciation Of J. J. Cale - 2014

U2: Songs Of Innocence - 2014

The Who: Who Are You - 1978

Eric Clapton & J. J. Cale: The Road To Escondido - 2006

Van Morrison: Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast - 1984

Eric Clapton: Eric Clapton - 1970

Trojan Presents: The Spirit Of '69

Mud: A's, B's & Rarities