The Gladiators: Proverbial Reggae - 1978


More classic, harmonious and immaculately played roots reggae here from The Gladiators. Also present on instrumental duties augmenting the threesome were the legendary riddim-meisters The Revolutionaries and those guys could play. The Gladiators were Albert Griffiths, lead guitar and vocals, Clinton Fearon, bass and vocals and Gallimore Sutherland, rhythm guitar and vocals. 

Dreadlocks the time is now....

Some true roots classics can be found on here with the excellent and catchy Dreadlocks The Time Is Now, the absolutely lush, bassy beauty of Jah Works, the devout Marvel Not and the much-covered and/or sampled and extremely groovy Stick A Bush. The Best Things In Life is great too, as is the tuneful Fly Away

They even get fun and light-hearted on the lively Music Makers From Jamaica. Look, it's all good, let's be honest. Melodic roots reggae at its finest. The Gladiators really had the knack of producing an appealing, hooky sound. 

I love this album, I can't help reiterating it. It is one of those albums that I listen to and just get a warm feeling of satisfaction. It is roots reggae that could probably be appreciated by non hard-core roots fans. This was very much part of the 1977-78 punky reggae party crossover and, for me, the group were one of the best of the roots reggae boom, although they were probably too light for some. 

As with their previous album, the sound is really good - and I mean "wow" good - full of outstanding clarity and bass definition, which was not always the case with seventies reggae. This recording has completely nailed it. Nice one.

Secondary, 4 of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles