Aphrodite's Child: End Of The World - 1968

This was an oddity - Greek prog rock. Featuring future successful artists in keyboard wizard Vangelis and high-pitched housewives' favourite Demis Roussos it was an interesting mixture of classical keyboard influences, vibrant druggy percussion and melodic woodwind, all delivered with a Greek ear for a tune.

End Of The World is both tuneful and bombastic at the same time, with Demis Roussos's instantly recognisable falsetto floating around in dreamy fashion over Vangelis's classically, influenced grandiose piano. 

Don't Try To Catch A River is a lively piece of frantic, crazy psychedelic pop that I can't help but enjoy. They throw all sorts of madcap instrumentation in here - the afore-mentioned woodwind, percussion and keyboards. The drumming, from Loukas Sideras, is great on it too as is the bass. I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised upon hearing this for the first time and on several occasions since. 

The semi-spoken Syd Barrett-influenced Mr. Thomas is best forgotten but Rain And Tears, which appropriates Pachelbel's toccata and fugue, is a baroque delight. 

The Grass Is No Green is a wonderfully spaced-out slow psychedelic number, so evocative of much of 1968's material. Remember also that this very proggy organ-driven number was from 1968, considerably ahead of much prog rock. This album was more ground-breaking and influential than you might think. Valley Of Sadness is another baroque song that breaks out into some floor-shaking heavy passages. You Always Stand In My Way is a strong prog rocker with wild organ and a Robert Plant-esque vocal. It ends up as a bit of a racket, though, I have to say. 

The Shepherd And The Moon is a sort of Greek folk song on LSD, full of  rustic, Eastern influences but also proggy changes of pace and a pretentious, spoken part. There is an appeal to its madness, though. Day Of The Fool is a bit of a mess, however, not really getting anywhere and going round in proggy circles. Overall, though, it is an interesting and beguiling album that is worth the occasional listen.

Secondary, 2 of 13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles