Ben E. King: Supernatural - 1975


A really fine bit of unexpected disco groove can be found on this superb album by legendary soul crooner Ben E. King (of the Drifters  and Stand By Me fame). 

King, like many in 1977, decided to board the disco train and he did it to good measure too, utilising an impressive band, there is some great disco/funky soul to be found on here, along with some typically 1977 orchestrated soul balladry. 

Highlights are the double header parts one and two of  Supernatural ThingDo You Wanna Do A ThingYour Lovin' Ain't Good EnoughWhat Do You Want Me To Do and Do It In The Name Of Love on the disco side of things and the soulful, yearning ballads Imagination and Drop My Heart OffOn the whole it is the disco tracks that catch the ear - full of throbbing bass, funky drums and a gritty, different type of vocal from that we were used to from King. It is an extremely listenable album that funkily cooks from the outset. 

Contributing to the album are David Bowie guitarist Carlos Alomar, Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent vocalist and sometime songwriter Gwen Guthrie as well as Atlantic label stablemate Sam Dees, who wrote two of the songs. This is a really great little gem of an album. Disco/funk tended to throw up these nuggety one-offs, particularly in the seventies.

Secondary, 2 of 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles