Billy Preston: The Kids And Me - 1974

Gospel-influenced seventies funk-soul with a few Blaxploitation tinges from the keyboardist better known for his work with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. 

Known to many from this album is You Are So Beautiful, which was made famous by Joe Cocker. The funky opener, Tell Me That You Need My Loving reminds of Elton John’s early funky rock while Struttin’ is a lively instrumental. 

The rollicking Nothing From Nothing has a Leon Russell feel about it as does Sometimes I Love YouSister Sugar positively drips with lively, brassy funk too and Sad Sad Song has Billy doing his best Otis Redding. The album suffers just slightly from a bit of a lo-fi, tinny sound, however.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles