Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet - 1986

I've never really a) been into Bon Jovi or b) been convinced by them. So, this review is written from that initial standpoint, but is of an album that I do actually own. 

It dates from 1986 and due to its time of origin, features far too much keyboard action for my liking and not enough guitar. Yes, Bon Jovi helped to popularise heavy rock, reaching the masses with their brand of synthy, poppy, hook-driven rock, but, for me, they lacked the bona fide guitar-based sound that bands like AC/DC or Guns 'N Roses had. 

Anyway, to the album's best cuts. First off there is their huge hit in the Springsteenesque tale of struggling working couple Tommy and Gina, Livin' On a Prayer. The song is a classic of its type and I have always loved it and its rousing high-pitched chorus bit. My other favourite from the album is the glorious, effervescent, rebellious rock of Wild In The Streets. I never quite got into You Give Love A Bad Name in the same way, though. 

Other good ones are the frantic piano-powered rock of I'd Die For You, the slightly soulful Without Love (not the Aretha Franklin song), the big power ballad Wanted Dead Or Alive and the stadium rocker Raise Your Hands. The rest of it is a bit dull and synthy, if I'm honest. 

Yep, gimme more guitar riffs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles