BT Express: Do It (Till You're Satisfied) - 1974


What do you want from mid-seventies disco/funk? Fatback drums? Sweeping strings? Funky flutes? Wah-wah guitars? Handclaps? Congas? Saxophones? Occasional female vocals, both backing and strong lead? Gritty male vocals? Harmony vocals? 

This excellent album ticks all of those boxes and more. It is disco funk of the highest quality, exemplified by Express, If It Don't Turn You On (You Ought To Leave It Alone) and Do It ('Til You're Satisfied) are all truly superb funkers. The latter was the group's biggest hit and is ubiquitous in disco/funk playlists/compilations. Once You Get It is great too, pounding away solidly, as is everything Good To You (Ain't Always Good For You) and Mental Telepathy. 

You can't go far wrong with a title like This House Is Smokin' either, can you? Look it's all good. You don't really need another BT Express album than this one. It was their most successful and definitive. It also goes some way to defining a sub-genre, straddling the bridge between Blaxploitation and disco perfectly. Disco funk. Right here. Right now. From 1974. I love the cover too, both sides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles