Buddy Miles: Them Changes - 1970


Buddy Miles was a legendary funk-rock drummer best known for his Band Of Gypsys collaboration with Jimi Hendrix and further work with Carlos Santana, among many others. 

He sang as well as played drums and was recognisable by his huge seventies Afro, at times. This excellent compilation gets better as it progresses, starting with some rough and ready late sixties numbers before moving into the full on funk of the seventies. 

Train is a punchy, brassy piece of funk-rock, full of killer horns, funky guitar and thumping drums. Check out that big rumbling bass. It has psychedelic echoes no doubt carried over from Miles’ work with Jimi Hendrix. The guitar is just as impressive on the marvellous slow burning, bassy blues of Texas. This is where the quality really starts to kick in, big time and you really sit up and take notice. 

Them Changes is a lively, infectious number that surely influenced Peter Gabriel’s Sledgehammer. Just as good is the vibrant brass soul-rock of Dreams. Listen to that drum-organ interplay around 2:30, it is almost as if they have let a prog-rock keyboardist into the studio. The guitar is outstanding too. Solid stuff. There is something easy seventies Traffic-esque about this. 

Don’t Keep Me Wondering is a fine slice of brassy soul while Miles’ solid, funky take on The Allman Brothers’ Midnight Rider is outstanding. This is funk rock of the highest quality. The catchy Wholesale Love adds a bit of poppiness to the funk, this should have been a hit if you ask me. Miles’ cover of Neil Young’s Down By The River is also convincing, enhanced by some searing guitar breaks. 

Overall, this is a great compilation and a much underrated one. If you like brass-dominated seventies funk with rock edges to it, you will enjoy this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles