Candi Staton: Young Hearts Run Free - 1976


The problem with many artists who had one-off huge hits in the seventies, particularly in the seventies, was that they would subsequently put out an album of which much of the content sounded uncannily like their hit. 

That is certainly the case here, as both Run To Me and Destiny have brass breaks that sound almost identical to those found in the unforgettable Young Hearts Run Free. Not that they aren't good tracks, though, and You Bet Your Sweet Love is a likeable piece of bassy soul as is the excellent I KnowThe romantic and sensual What A Feeling finds Candi getting all sexy as she recounts the memorable teenage love she made back in Alabama. 

Al Green's Living For You is a sensual one too, as indeed is the soft tones of Summer Time With You. The album has a really good sound quality to it - deep, melodic bass, proper soulful drums and that recognisable brass. Of course, there is Candi's wonderful, expressive Gladys Knight-ish voice too. Recommended despite its sonic homogeny. I really like it.

Secondary, 2 of 3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles