Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: Déjà Vu - 1970


Building on the success of their debut, C, S and N added Y and the help of two other musicians, Taylor and Reeves, and produced this seminal, influential laid back piece of folky, hippy rock.

Its influences on many others is clear - it is well documented that the first part of Carry On sounds just like the riff on Led Zeppelin’s Friends. Paul McCartney’s 1972 track Wild Life has, for me, more than a hint of the hippy quandary anthem Almost Cut My HairEither way, it is a great grinding rock track, as hard as CSNY rocked. Indeed, both those songs have excellent gritty rock bits in them, as does the closer, Everybody I Love You and parts of the Country Girl medley. 

Most of the rest of the album is melodic, laid back folk, such as Teach Your Children. Neil Young’s plaintive but stunningly beautiful, North Ontario-inspired Helpless (which, for me again, has a feel of Van Morrison’s Rough God Goes Riding) and the lovely, evocative McCartney-ish Our House, the closest thing to a hit the foursome had. 

The title track, Déjà Vu, too, with its Marrakesh Express-style vocal parts is four minutes of early 70s folk rock perfection. It almost exemplifies the genre. Lovely bass part at the end as well. 4 + 20 is in the same, peaceful, folky vein. 

Then there is their version of Joni Mitchell's iconic Woodstock, standing somewhat alone in its rock-ish lead guitar-driven tone that is not very much like to the well-known Matthews Southern Comfort version. I like it, but I have to admit to preferring the more radio-friendly latter. Great guitar bit in the middle though. C, S, N and Y always seemed to enjoy rocking out, despite the laid back feel of their material. 

Funny how, like The Band, CSNY felt the need to dress up like 1850s pioneers for the sepia cover. Although this CD does not appear to have been remastered at all, the sound is excellent and does not need tinkering with. Nice 70s stereo separation. Perfect. 

Incidentally, in 2021 a new remaster appeared which is excellent and also includes alternative versions of the album's tracks - and, as is often the way, they are great, particularly the ten-minute version of Almost Cut My Hair.

Secondary, 5 of 7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles