Dave Alvin: King Of California - 1994

I can't believe this album has passed me by for so long. I have only just discovered after reading a comment from someone saying that it is the album contemporary-era Bruce Springsteen would love to have written. You know what - they are dead right. If Springsteen had released this instead of Western Stars it would be received as a work of genius. 

Alvin and his brother Phil were in a group called The Blasters, and I have to admit ignorance of both them and their work. He then decided upon a solo career and what he delivers here is country blues with tinges of rock here and there. Alvin has an expressive voice and writes some seriously good lyrics in the Springsteen-esque cinematic, character-driven style. A fine example to choose to reflect this is the superb, atmospheric, character-driven Fourth Of July

Other standouts are King Of CaliforniaEast Texas BluesBus StationLittle Honey and the truly superb, Springsteen-esque Border Radio

There are influences of Bob Dylan, bluesy Rolling StonesRy Cooder and later-era Johnny Cash floating all around the album. In turn I am sure both Springsteen and Mark Knopfler will have heard this and been influenced by it. Mary Chapin Carpenter too. Mexican and Tex-Mex sounds make occasional appearances too. It is a highly atmospheric slice of little-known (to many people) Americana. I am delighted to have come across it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles