Disco Tex: Disco Tex & His Sex-O-Lettes - 1975

For me, as a teenager in the mid/late seventies, disco was all about posturing, macho, blatantly heterosexual US-based Italians so I never quite understood the disco/gay relationship other than the carefree exhibitionism thing, but anyway, at the forefront of it was certainly Sir Monti Rock III, otherwise known as Disco Tex. 

Fronting an orchestra of session musicians, this camp, Liberace-like character delivered two superbly catchy hits in 1974 and 1975 in Get Dancin’ and I Wanna Dance Wit’ Choo. I absolutely loved them at the time, oblivious to the unbridled foppery of it all. It was simply a lot of fun. Disco should always be fun, after all, shouldn't it ? This album is one of total craziness.The two glorious singles are more than enough Disco Tex anything one needs, to be frank, but I guess he felt he had to put out an album. 

Like the singles, the tracks play out as if being played to a live crowd. Jam Band kicks it off in rousing style, also it sounds far more rock 'n' roll than disco, I have to say. 

Other tracks like Outrageousand the brassy Love Is A Killer are sort of pounding disco rock and remind me of The B52's Love Shack and even slightly of some of Prince's stuff. For all its throwaway lightness, the album definitely had some influence. The sound on the only available streams of the album is poor, though, no doubt a "needle drop".

Secondary, 2 of 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles