First Choice: Delusions - 1977


Known for a couple of hits in 1973 with Armed And Extremely Dangerous and Smarty Pants, Philadelphia label female vocal group First Choice did what many acts did in 1977 and released an album of disco soul grooves. It is certainly a solid effort that is stronger than their previous work. 

It features impressive vocals and top quality instrumental backing, presumably from the Philadelphia house band. Doctor Love certainly fitted that description, and was a disco hit. 

Indian Giver (not the sixties song covered by The Ramones) was far more in the typical Philly soul style. It has some infectious flute and percussion funky bits near the end. Stevie Wonder's Love Having You Around has a funky clavinet backing worthy of its writer. The track is great, cookin' from the very outset. It was a minor hit in its edited single format, but it is best experienced in its extended album version that we find here. Excellent stuff. 

Gamble On Love is Philly meets soft disco as is Chances Go Around. Balladry arrives in I Love You More Than Before but disco returns on the excellent, fuzz guitar-backed Let No Man Put Asunder. This is another really impressive piece of typically late seventies disco soul. Do Me Again is a deep, warm late night smoocher and Jimmy Dee ends this fine album in a Motown style. Good album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles