Gary Clark Jnr.: This Land - 2019


This is a sprawling album from Texan Gary Clark Jnr. One that explores many musical options and styles and expresses his contemporary frustration at life in Trump’s America, especially as an African-American

On previous albums, maybe the awesome guitar soloing was just as important as the lyrics, but on here the message is first and foremost. This is his What’s Goin’ On for 2019. Clark is trying to be more than simply a bluesman. 

I struggle to understand the more negative criticism of the album. It think it is musically adventurous, creative and lyrically bold. It deserves many listens. The claim that none of the songs stick in one’s head is a difficult one for me to process. I find it the exact opposite. Each to their own, of course. 

This Land is an intriguing mix of contemporary hip/hop sounds and urban funk with Clark’s trademark blues guitar, which underpins the song and makes a big appearance near the end. Some superb guitar enhances the track. It would see some listeners are not happy with the hip/hop fusion, but I find it most effective. This is a gloriously angry song, Clark leaves us in no doubt about that with the lyrics. The same applies to the thumping, rock backing of What About Us and its buzzy guitar. It reminds me a lot of the material Steven Van Zandt released on his Revolution album in 1988. 

When I'm Gone has an almost Shadows-like early sixties-influenced guitar riff and a beautiful soulful vocal, straight out of the David Ruffin or Levi Stubbs archives. I love this song. The Guitar Man has some infectious funky guitar and a captivating rhythmic melody. Just when you thought the blues wouldn’t be making a full-on appearance on this album, along comes the authentic Delta sound of Dirty Dishes Blues. Nice one.

Secondary, 2 of 12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles