Gloria Gaynor: Never Can Say Goodbye - 1975

Guess what Gloria Gaynor's debut album introduced to the world? The three track side of segued disco groove, that's what. 

It would be something that both Grace Jones and Donna Summer would utilise subsequently, but it started here with the disco thump of Honey Bee, the now iconic Never Can Say Goodbye and a somewhat shrieky disco version of the Four Tops' Reach Out, I'll Be ThereIts non-stop grooving flow allowed disco DJs to give their dancers nineteen minutes of continual groove. The influence of this was unquestionable, both stylistically and musically. It is higher on the drums, rapidly strummed guitars and bass than on the strings too, a departure for disco circa 1975. 

The second side conforms to more recognisable soul traditions with a selection of solid fare. All I Need Is Your Sweet Lovin' is the most catchy and upbeat of the songs. Searchin' is a nice brassy pounder too and the uplifting We Belong Together has a soulful power. 

In many ways I prefer side two, being more of a soul man than a dancer, but I know why side one was so important. Unfortunately, the releases of the album that are available these days are slightly tinny, which is a shame. Of this batch of disco funk/soul reviews immediately above and below here, its sound is by far the worst.

Secondary, 2 of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles