GQ: Disco Nights - 1979

An ebullient, joyful debut album here for this New York disco group, best known for the excellent floor-filler Disco Nights (Rock-Freak)

They also cover A Taste Of Honey’s catchy Boogie Oogie Oogie convincingly, matching that hit single in my opinion. Also impressive is the super-slick extended classy disco groove of Make My Dreams A Reality. Check out that beautifully deep bass line a couple of minutes in and that killer falsetto vocal too. 

Both the brassy and wah-wah driven Spirit and the upbeat This Happy Feeling are great too - in fact the whole album is quality, high-class disco throughout. Those great disco bass lines and that typical disco guitar are abundant on here and I’m sure that Shalamar must have been influenced by this. They can slow things down too, on the lush falsetto ballad I Do Love You.

Secondary, 2 of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles