Labelle: Nightbirds - 1974

Thought to be Labelle's best album by many critics, this is more new Orleans brassy soul than disco, but many consider it a disco album, largely because of the punchy floor-filler Lady Marmalade (which strangely did not become a single hit until the summer of 1976). 

Backed by various members of New Orleans funkers The Meters and produced by legendary funkman Allen Toussaint, the album is a muscular, in-your-face offering. Other highlights are the grinding funk of Are You Lonely?Somebody Somewhere, the also gloriously funky Don't Bring Me Down and What Can I Do For You? I really like the quirky, electronic-ish Space Children too. All Girl Band has the girls telling us how they cope against their adversities and come out stronger. Girl power here -  twenty and more years earlier. 

It is the brassy soul stompers which take one's attention, but the ballads like It Took A Long Time, the Gladys Knight-esque You Turn Me On and Nightbird are top quality too. With backing like The Meters provided and the excellent female vocals, that was not surprising. 

As I said, though, it is far more of a soul album than a disco one. Lady Marmalade is so damn good and now so well-known that it cannot fail to dominate, however. Incidentally, one of the group's singers Nona Hendryx wrote five of the songs, unusual for soul vocalists - they often just did the singing. Another piece of trivia was that Shakatak named their eighties album Nightbirds, oddly, as they must surely, as soul funkers, have been aware of this one's existence.

Secondary, 6 of 8

Comments

  1. Yeah you're right that this really doesn't have anything to do with disco but I used to have it and I liked the music. Lady Marmalade is fucking great. Did you ever hear those earlier albums they had where they did all these songs by Cat Stevens and The Who and Laura Nyro and Carole King and stuff? And Wild Horses they did too and I think another Stones song. I was really curious so I listened to them but they weren't particularly good. I always thought Patti LaBelle's singing was kind of gross. I love the album they made with Laura Nyro but that was kind of different cuz it was oldies so they didn't sing in that gross grotesque way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know those earlier ones at all. Like you, I love Lady Marmalade. I remember buying it as a single back in 1976 and playing it endlessly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles