Lionel Richie: Can't Slow Down - 1983


Lionel Richie only actually released three successful solo albums at the height of his popularity in the mid-eighties, and the most successful one, this was his own equivalent to Thriller, being packed full of hits and appearing in the music collections of many people who owned less than ten albums. 

It was not surprising, though, as it is a superbly crafted and produced piece of slick, appealing pop-soul. Yes, it lacks the credibility of Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Curtis Mayfield or Stevie Wonder, but as pure enjoyable soulful music with a wide appeal goes, it gets little wrong. It was more poppy than ballady as its predecesor was and thus appealed to a wide audience.

The highlights, of course, are its superb hit singles - the exuberant and melodic Paul Simon-ish party fun of All Night Long (All Night) (those brackets were so important); the sumptuous romantic strains of Penny Lover and Stuck On YouHello, with its iconic blind student sculpture video; the rocking Running With The Night and the slick, immaculately-produced Michael Jackson-esque funk-pop of the title track, Can’t Slow Down.

Love Will Find A Way is a sumptuous, typical piece of late night early eighties soul. Dim those lights now.... 

The Only One continues in the same vein - beautifully melodic and laid-back, sublimely romantic. These are very much songs for twenty-somethings and I was lucky to be that age when this album came out. It was easy to dismiss this album in po-faced style as one that lacks proper credibility. I say bollocks to that - I can’t listen to All Night Long and fail to enjoy it. Classy stuff, a masterpiece of its kind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles