Manfred Mann: Down The Road Apiece: The Complete Recordings 1963-1966

Of all the mid-sixties British beat explosion groups, maybe Manfred Mann were one of the most underrated and under appreciated. Yes, they had some chart hits during the 63-66 period, but many of their hits came after blues aficionado lead singer Paul Jones was replaced by Mike D’Abo. 

This excellent hundred track compilation covers the Jones years and goes a heck of a long way towards giving the band some retrospective and well-deserved respect. All the musicians of the time recognised their talent, though, it is more that critical acclaim seems to have passed them by over the years. 

This was a shame, because they could play, no doubt about that, and the sound quality on this material is absolutely top notch - mind- bogglingly good, in fact. The Manfreds played a mix of upbeat blues rock, r ‘n’ b, jazzy stuff, slower blues fare and rock ‘n’ roll, displaying quite a variety and versatility. 

The highlights on here are the titular Down The Road Apiece (also covered well by The Rolling Stones); covers of Smokestack LightningI’ve Got My Mojo Working; Herbie Hancock’s Watermelon ManOh No Not My Baby and Poison Ivy as well as excellent originals like Jones’ I’m Your King Pin

The opener, Why Should We Not, is a catchy jazz and blues instrumental that showcases the group’s sterling musicianship, as indeed does the groovy jazz of Brother Jack. Listen to the totally irresistible Chattering too - another fine instrumental. Mr. Anello rocks, big time. This was certainly not a throwaway pop act. 

The only three really big chart hits on here are Do Wah Diddy DiddyPretty Flamingo and 5-4-3-2-1, and, great as they are, this collection proves that the Manfreds were much more than that. They were jazz, they were blues, they were r ‘n’ b, they were pop. Listening to the whole lot in one sitting is probably not ideal, however, but dipping in to bits of it will always satisfy. It certainly does for me, I can’t recommend it highly enough. 

Secondary, 4 of 15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles