Poco: Rose Of Cimarron - 1976

I remember a friend of mine had this album back in 1976 and thought it was great. However, I thought it was somewhat underwhelming Eagles-style fare - melodic and quite pleasant but nothing to get your juices flowing. 

My opinion hasn't really changed, to an extent. It is immaculately played by a band that including later-to-be Eagle Timothy B. Schmidt on vocals, bass and harmonica but it just sort of washes warmly over you and its thirty-five minutes are gone before you know it. 

The sound is very much like that of Firefall from the same era, a bit more the rock side of country than, say, Pure Prairie League. Eagles influences abound too, but not overpoweringly so, it has a bit of its own feel. I must say the bass is lovely and warm and the string arrangements are most winsome in that Western way. There is some fine lead guitar floating around too and the vocal harmonies are impressive. 

I was amazed to find that this as the group's ninth album. These country rockers were around for ages before they got properly noticed, especially in the UK. It is all very enjoyable with a most relaxing, summery ambience, but not probably something I will return too very often unless a track shows up as part of a random playlist, which it may do, and when it does I will certainly not object. I love the cover too. 

Actually, you know what? After a few listens, I'm really getting into it. Funny how albums have that effect, isn't it? What the hell - I really like it! Sure, its harmless and unthreatening, but it is easy on the ear and pleasantly atmospheric, very South-Western USA and the Mexican borderlands. 

Highlights are the beautifully evocative and breezy title track - a song I remember well from back in 1976 and my friend's car cassette player - Rose Of Cimarron; the robust grandeur of the Spanish vocal enhanced Too Many Nights Too Long (along with Rose, the album's best track); the tuneful Steal Away; the country fun of Company's Comin'; the Eagles-ish Just Like Me and the groovy country funk of Tulsa TurnaroundNice one. Proper seventies country rock.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles