Shalamar: Friends - 1982

This is easily the best of Shalamar’s albums, containing four big hits and some fine other tracks too. 

The album begins with the superb disco-pop of A Night To Remember, presented here in extended form. Don’t Try To Change Me continues in the same style - quality, catchy and highly accessible poppy funk. Help Me slows down the pace, but nicely slow on an appealing, romantic groove. 

On Top Of The World returns to the joyful pop funk of most of the album. It features some nice bass-guitar interplay and is very much the sound of ordinary town discos and nightclubs in 1982 and was in many girls’ record collections. They all seemed to own this. 

Friends and There It Is are cut from the same disco guitar-riffing cloth and were perfect singles while I Can Make You Feel Good is one of the great disco records. This was a good album - it didn’t get much better than this for Shalamar.

Secondary, 3 of 8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles