The Eliminators: Loving Explosion - 1974

This was the only album release for this little-known funk group, in 1974. It is now almost like a Northern Soul rarity, but in album form. 

The sound is typical early-mid seventies soul-funk with influences from The MetersThe Chi-Lites (at times), Tower Of PowerThe Isley Brothers and James Brown. It is brassy, bassy and full of big, fatback funky drums plus the occasional blaxploitation-style flute. 

The sound of the band is wonderful, overflowing with funk but the release is obviously a “needle drop”, sourced from the original vinyl as it is over-populated with scratching sounds and hisses. Perversely, though, it sort of adds to its raw, edgy, street funk feel. The funk is so earthy that it can still be enjoyed. Once the funk kicks in it drowns it out. The bass is warm and deep and the stereo excellent, it is actually quite revelatory. 

I can’t believe I have been ignorant of this album all my life, as it is wonderful. Quite how this group didn’t make it beyond this one album is a total mystery. They are so obscure that I couldn't find a picture of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles