The Law: The Law - 1991

This was a collaboration between ex-Free and Bad Company legendary blues rock vocalist Paul Rodgers and Small Faces-Faces-Who drummer Kenney Jones

It got underwhelming critical reception upon its release in 1991. God knows why. I think it's great. Rodgers' classic, eternally great blues rock voice is sensational, as is Jones' powerhouse drumming. The guitar riffage is excellent too. Tracks like the storming opener For A Little RideMiss You In A Heartbeat and Stone Cold are muscular rockers easily the equal of a lot of Bad Company's output. Indeed, Stone sounds just like a typical Bad Company rock ballad. 

The sound quality is outstanding on the album - big, bassy and warm. I literally cannot see what was many people's problem with this album. Maybe they found it a bit "AOR" and "commercial heavy rock" in style on tracks like Come Save Me (Julianne) and I guess I can see that but this is Paul Rodgers we're talking about. I'd listen to him singing in the bath. 

Check out the bass, drums and vocals on Laying Down The Law. Quality solid rock, as is the vibrant, rocking Nature Of The Beast, a track that reminds me of something else but I can't put my finger on what right now. 

Anything For You sees the vibe calm down, just a little, on a winsome, infectious ballad. On this track, and, to an extent the next one, the big rock ballad Best Of My Love, the backing is a bit eighties/early nineties, a bit "programmed", but Rodgers' voice rides over that. Never mind that, though, on the next one, Tough Love, because copper-bottomed riffage is back, big time. It is one of the album's purest rockers. Get an earful of it - right now!

The album ends with a slowie, Missing You Bad Girl, which has a backing sound that reminds me of Prince's Sound O' The Times. Once more it sounds a lot like a Bad Company rock ballad.

If you like Bad Company and Free, I honestly believe you will like this, although hardcore Free/blues rock fans may find it too early nineties in its big production. Probably a few too many synthesisers for some tastes. Personally I think it is a great "lost album". 

I can seriously recommend this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles