The London Souls: Here Come The Girls - 2015


The London Souls are a guitar and drums duo - Tash Neal (guitar) and Chris St. Hilaire (drums) from New York CityThey also use a bassist called Kyoshi. This is their second album. It is largely derivative revivalist piece of work with influences from Jimi HendrixLed ZeppelinCream and The Beatles with blues, rock, soul, psychedelia and occasional folkiness all present in the album's tracks. By the end of the album, for me, it is the folkiness that sticks in the mind. It starts off rock-ish but by the end, seems to have got far more laid-back and acoustic. 

The first track, the poppy and lively When I'm With You is a very Beatles-ish number, with hints of David Bowie at certain places in the vocal delivery, while Steady is a muscular piece of heavy rock in a Hendrix-Cream style. Hercules is an acoustic-backed, folky song like something off Led Zeppelin III or Paul McCartney's first solo album. 

Alone has a Doors-like rhythm to it. All Tied Down is very much Cream-inspired. The group wear their influences clearly on their sleeve, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. There is still a raw, newness to the album, despite its nostalgic feel. If they are revivalists, it doesn't really bother me. I like revivalists. 

It has to be said Tash Neal makes one hell of a guitar sound, whether electric or acoustic. The group's overall sound is muscular and powerful but tender on occasions too, as on the wistful IsabelThey can also play the blues too, such as the punchy Honey

There are even echoes of The Sweet's Ballroom Blitz mixed with U2's Desire in the jaunty The RiverHow Can I Get Through is like Simon & Garfunkel meets Paul McCartney at his whimsiest in New Orleans. Valerie rocks and thumps in muscular fashion. Bobby James has early Elton John getting down with Little Feat vibe to it.

The closer, Run Zombie Run is an acoustic number with hints of Ronnie Lane about it. Check out that lovely deep bassy backing too. It's a lovely track that breaks out into a surprising upbeat bit right at the end.

There are all sorts mixed up in this album's songs, but as I said, it still sounds original and fresh. The sound quality is excellent. I have to say I really like this album.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles