The Ozark Mountain Daredevils: The Ozark Mountain Daredevils - 1973

In late 1973, when this debut album of most appealing country rock was released, there is absolutely no way that my David Bowie-Mott The Hoople-Roxy Music loving self would have considered listening to it. 

It was the sort of thing that seemed to populate the US album charts in direct comparison to the glam-rock-soul and prog of the UK equivalent. One look at these long-haired, downhome check-shirted hicks would have me running for the platform-booted, glittery hills. 

My tastes have changed all these years later and now I find I really enjoy stuff like this, along with groups/artists such as The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, Pure Prairie League, Linda Ronstadt and Area Code 615 amongst others. So many excellent country rock artists came from that 1970-1976 period. The Daredevils' sound was a mixture of rock, country and bluegrass, similar to The Flying Burrito Brothers, Pure Prairie League, Firefall and the early Eagles. 

They make good use of the harmonica too, check out Country Girl and Chicken TrainColorado Song starts acoustically and turns into a pounding rocker by its end, If You Wanna Get To Heaven rocks from beginning to end. 

This is a copper bottomed great country rock album, make no mistake. There are slight hints of Eric Clapton’s blues/country/rock material floating around here too. The individual songs are not ones that necessarily need detailed analysis, it is more the sound of the whole album that counts here, and that is a really good one. Quality all the way. 

Highlights - Country Girl, If You Want To Get To Heaven, Colorado Song, Chicken Train, Road To Glory, Standin' On The Rock, Black Sky, Beauty In The River.

Also highly recommended, enjoyable listens are -

It'll Shine When It Shines - 1974

It's Alive (live recording) - 1978


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles