The Salsoul Orchestra: The Salsoul Orchestra - 1975

If you asked a number of people what seventies disco was all about, sound-wise, chances are they would say “the beat”, “the boogie” or “the rhythm”. They would be wrong. 

Disco was all about strings. Sweeping, romantic orchestration powered so much mid-seventies disco, giving it a movie soundtrack feel. Indeed, it backed so many films at the time. Lush strings were everywhere, merged with funky wah-wah guitars, big band-style drums, jazzy keyboards, a touch of Latin influence and multiple high-pitched “doo-doo-doo” female backing vocals. 

Maybe nothing exemplifies this generic sound more than the output of Philadelphia session musicians The Salsoul Orchestra, many of whom had been part of the MFSB Philly collective that to an extent launched disco with their eponymous single. This orchestrated semi-instrumental tradition was continued by the Barry White-associated Love Unlimited Orchestra and also Van McCoy of the Hustle fame. 

Every track on this seminal album could have come from a movie. They are all long-ish largely instrumental workouts with occasional vocal interjection that were highly influential in the development of the whole disco thing. Saturday Night Fever would not have existed without this showing the way. Indeed, much of the soundtrack album is indebted to the foundations laid down here. 

Highlights are Salsoul HustleSalsoul RainbowChicago Bus StopYou’re Just The Right Size and Tale Of Three Cities. All these drip with the essence of 1975-1978, they are slick, polished, beautifully orchestrated and what they may lack in grit or true soul they gain in a classy, rhythmic sensuality.

Secondary, 2 of 4

Comments

  1. This reminds me about their Christmas album that I used to have. I was thinking about making a Christmas playlist, so I could put that on the list. I just read that Brenda Lee's Rocking Around the Christmas Tree is the number one song in the country and that she's the oldest person to ever have a number one hit. and she's 79 years old. And she recorded it when she was 12 years old. And it's the longest time between when a song first was released until it became a number one hit. I always thought it was the best Christmas record ever. My other favorite Christmas songs are Jingle Bell Rock and Be Home for Christmas by the Eagles. I heard it in the grocery store yesterday. And Blue Christmas by Elvis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you don't know the Christmas favourites we have here in the UK so well. Slade - Merry Christmas Everybody; Wizzard - I Wish It Could Christmas Everyday; Elton John - Step Into Christmas; Mud - Lonely This Christmas etc

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

New Wave: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles