The Small Faces: Ogden's Nut Gone Flake - 1968


Many people consider the band's album from 1968 to be their crowning piece of psychedelic, drugged-up glory. Not me. I think it's bloody awful, up there with The Who's similarly dreadful The Who Sell Out. 

It is one of those supposed "concept albums" and hams up the old cock-er-neee music hall vaudeville thing to the max. I just find it incredibly irritating, despite the presence of some fine psychedelic riff-outs in places. 

As I said in my review of the group's Ultimate Collection, Lazy Sunday bugs me no end but although Rene (about a dockyard prostitute) is sung in the same exaggerated voice (nobody ever really spoke like that) I still quite like it. I like the trippy Afterglow Of Your Love, Song Of A Baker and Rollin' Over but you can flush the rest down the old khazi, guv'nor. Give me The Small Faces up to 1967.

Secondary, 2 of 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles