Walter Trout: Survivor Blues - 2019

I was, shamefully, not too familiar with New Jersey blues rock guitarist Walter Trout's work until this album, I have to admit. 

He has been putting albums out since 1990 and playing in blues bands since the late sixties (with Joe Tex, Canned Heat and John Mayall amongst others) and I certainly need to check them out, soon, because if this album is anything to go by, it may well be worth it. 

This is an album of blues covers, something that is not too unusual, but Trout decided to cover songs not often covered - no Hoochie Coochie Man, Stormy Monday or Got My Mojo Working then. The sound, however, is classic guitar-driven blues rock from a Joe Bonamassa-style guitarist with a strong blues voice too. 

Although the tracks are maybe not so well-known, the overall sound most certainly is. Me, My Guitar And The Blues is seven minutes of top quality blues rock. Just check out the shredding, guitar opening to the rocking Be Careful How You Vote. The candidate you vote for just might let you down, we are told. You don't say. Good advice. This album is already rocking, big time. I love this sort of classic blues rock so I am easily pleased by it. 

Woman Don't Lie has a funky groove of a backing to it and a superb soulful, bluesy guest vocal from SugarRay Rayford. 

Along with John Mayall's barnstorming Nobody Told Me, Tedeschi Trucks Band's Signs and Joanne Shaw Taylor's Reckless Heart it is a wonderful piece of 2019 blues rock. There is so much great blues rock around at the moment. We are blessed that the genre is still alive and kicking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles