Bruce Springsteen: The Rising - 2002

 

"A brave and beautiful album of humanity, hurt and hope from the songwriter best qualified to speak to and for his country ... A towering achievement" - Uncut magazine

As a follower of Bruce Springsteen’s music since 1977, I have to admit that this is my second least favourite of his albums, behind 2009’s Working On A Dream, although, to be honest I play that one more than I play this one. You may find that odd, because many followers of his love it, and indeed, there are a fair amount for whom this was the album that sparked them to get into him and seek out his previous work. Me, I just don't really like much of it. Why? The poor, often digitally-programmed production for one and the fact that a lot of the songs just do not cut the mustard, for me. There is a lot of decidedly ordinary stuff on here, as far as I'm concerned. Of course this is just a personal opinion. We all have them. 

Can't see nothing in front of me.....

Lonesome Day
Into The Fire
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
Nothing Man
Countin' On A Miracle
Empty Sky
Worlds Apart
Let's Be Friends (Skin To Skin)
Further On Up The Road
The Fuse
Mary's Place
You're Missing
The Rising
Paradise
My City Of Ruins

It is widely perceived as an album written in response to the terrorist attacks of 11th September 2001. That is only true to a certain extent. Songs like the moving My City Of Ruins and the evocative Nothing Man would seem to fit that particular bill perfectly, but in fact they were written before that date. The former was written about Asbury Park, New Jersey, but the latter with its “blue sky” references would seem to be about that day, but not so. 

There are three songs on the album that directly relate to the events of that day - the harrowing
 Into The Fire, about the fire service personnel who went into the towers. I have always been uncomfortable with this as subject matter for a rock song listened to for pleasure. I remember being at a Springsteen gig and seeing fans punching the air on the “into the fire” refrain of the chorus. Nothing to punch the air about in this song for me, I’m afraid. It is heartbreaking and for that reason, I find it unlistenable. You’re Missing is similarly upsetting, to be honest. I cannot derive any pleasure from it. I know that is not the point, but that is just how I feel about it. Empty Sky is the other one. Again have seen fans with arms in the air to this one. It is a sensitive and incredibly meaningful song, but, for me, after hearing its few times, I have no desire to hear it again. 

So, those are the direct 9/11 songs. So, what are we left with? There are two songs which perceptively try to see events from a Middle-Eastern point of view - the sombre Paradise, a rarity of a song in that Springsteen sings in the first person in the role of a suicide bomber. A brave take indeed. Incredibly so, all things considered. It shows just what a remarkable songwriter and artist Bruce Springsteen is. In many respects it can be considered the finest song on the album. The equally excellent Worlds Apart features Pakistani musicians recorded separately and dubbed on to it. It has a beguiling, infectious appeal. Some great guitar from Springsteen in it too. 

Then there are the “uplifting/hope for the future” songs. 
The upbeat country meets Celtic rock-ish opener Lonesome Day and the now iconic, tub thumper of a title track, The Rising, with its “come on up for the rising” refrain and biblical references in the lyrics. Both of these are rockingly enjoyable. 

There are two average middle-of-the-road rockers in Countin’ On A Miracle and the chugging, clunky Neil Young-ish blues rock of Further On (Up The Road) (incidentally covered in great style by Johnny Cash on one of his last albums). 

Now we come to my two personal favourites - the only slice of E. St that is the Sam Cooke and gospel inspired Mary’s Place and the mysterious and surprisingly sexual The Fuse. "Your bitter-sweet taste on my tongue...". Yes, Bruce we've all been there! Both of these songs sit somewhat uncomfortably within the album’s context (maybe that is why they are my favourites?). 

Then, unfortunately, there is the rubbish - Let's Be Friends (Skin To Skin) is, well, I don’t know really. A sort of cod soul song that just doesn’t really work, not for me anyway. 

As for Waitin' On A Sunny Day, despite its undoubtedly catchy chorus it is forever tainted, in my eyes, by the memory of several gigs in which Springsteen - not so spontaneously - grabs a child from the audience and makes him/her sing the chorus. It was cute and amusing the first time. Not for the hundredth and counting. Sorry Bruce. I guess you meant well, but enough is enough. 

As I said in the introduction, this album just does not do it for me. It's probably me, not him. However, I have to say that I have always found Brendan O'Brien's production on the album dull and lifeless and a bit tinny in places. O'Brien is not a favourite of mine. Furthermore, why use a drum machine on occasions when you have the “Mighty” Max Weinberg at your disposal? This is just my opinion, though. Many people love the album. It is personally very important to them and I have no wish to not understand or acknowledge that. There are just many more Springsteen albums that I prefer. Oh, and the title track should have opened the album too.

Popular posts from this blog

Faces: Faces At The BBC (Live)

Dr. Feelgood: Down By The Jetty - 1975

Eric Clapton & Friends: The Breeze - An Appreciation Of J. J. Cale - 2014

U2: Songs Of Innocence - 2014

The Who: Who Are You - 1978

Eric Clapton & J. J. Cale: The Road To Escondido - 2006

Van Morrison: Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast - 1984

Eric Clapton: Eric Clapton - 1970

Trojan Presents: The Spirit Of '69

Mud: A's, B's & Rarities