Derek & The Dominoes: Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs - 1971


Blues rock of the highest calibre here - the whole album reeks of quality, despite a notoriously muffled-ish production that multiple remasters can never quite cure. Anyway, let’s get to it. 

After the underwhelming Blind Faith “supergroup” experiment, Eric Clapton reconvened with his mates from the Delaney and Bonnie band, together with slide guitar maestro Duane Allman to produce a double album that has gone down in history as one of the great rock albums. Allman’s searing licks are all over album, outshining even Clapton at times. Tragically, he was killed in a motorcycle accident a year later. 

In a series of lengthy blues rock workouts that sound as if they are being played live, Eric and the band bring new rocking life to blues standards such as Nobody Loves You When You’re Down And Out, the peerless Key To The Highway (just check out that guitar half way through), Have You Ever Loved A Woman and Hendrix’s Little WingThere are also more laid-back numbers like I Am Yours to be found on here too as well as typical Clapton uplifting, soulful rockers like the magnificent AnydayTell The Truth and I Looked Away as well as hits like Bell Bottom Blues and, of course, Eric’s lovesick anthem Layla - get that air guitar tuned.....daddle daddle daddle dah.

The Deluxe edition of the album contains loads of alternative versions, live versions and jam versions.

* Incidentally, The Tedeschi Trucks Band released a live recording of the full album in 2018. It is worth checking out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

Joni Mitchell: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - 1977