Motown Chartbusters: Volume 2

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing 1968

Just how good a duet is Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing? One of Motown's best, surely? Marvin and Tammi just do it. No further comment needed. Perfection.

Diana Ross & the Supremes - Reflections 1967

A classic hit here in Reflections, with its psychedelic-style spacey keyboard introductory interjections. While it had a typical Motown sound in its percussion, there was something contemporary about it that fitted with 1967-68. 

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - If You Can Want 1968

If You Can Want is one of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' best "not quite so well-known" songs, it is a finely-delivered, semi-funky little number. It has a great stereo sound to it as well, or should I say its stereo version does. I love that brass bass and drum intro and then Smokey's mellifluous voice arrives. Heavenly. Dig that conga backing too. 

The Four Tops - You Keep Running Away 1967

Another of those powerful, grinding soulful numbers with a beautifully deep bassline. Songs like this were quite typical of the Four Tops' 1966-68 output. I love the loose, semi-funky drum sound that backs this. 

The Temptations - I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You) 1968

I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You) was the great David Ruffin's last single with The Temptations. It is a great one too, with his wonderful, expressive voice soaring above the subtle guitar, bongos and smooth strings backing. Motown Heaven.

Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Heard It Through The Grapevine 1967

Now we get what was actually the original version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine. Gladys’s version is upbeat and soulfully delivered, and possessing a killer percussion-driven intro, but Marvin Gaye’s version is now so iconic that you can’t help but compare it unfavourably to his one. Poor old Gladys. This happened several times to her. 

Stevie Wonder - I'm Wondering 1967

A non-album single, this is a catchy, rhythmic little number with an infectious poppy appal. It gets you singing along to the chorus with ease. Check Stevie's harmonica solo too, and that great pounding drum sound. Typical Motown. 

Jimmy Ruffin - I've Passed This Way Before 1966

This is one of my favourite Motown songs of all time. Never mind What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, this track positively drips with lovelorn soul and is in possession of a killer chorus. I love it dearly and always will. Up there with Farewell Is A Lonely Sound in the best of Jimmy Ruffin list.

Diana Ross & The Supremes - Some Things You Never Get Used To 1968

A solid Motown grinder of a track here - tambourine and brass backing behind a vibrant vocal from Diana and the girls. It wasn't as big a hit as they had been used to. I'm not sure why, I've always loved it. Elvis Costello quoted the song's title on the first line of his High Fidelity single in 1980. 

R. Dean Taylor - Gotta See Jane 1968

Motown deep cut territory here. It was a superbly atmospheric number - loaded with all sorts - car noises, rain noises and big orchestration deep bass, Motown beats. It tells the story of a guy driving through a wet night desperate to find his lover Jane. It's a great song from the very underrated Taylor.

Stevie Wonder - Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day 1968

The silly-titled Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day was one of Stevie Wonder's lesser-known singles. It didn't do well in the UK. I am calling it a hidden gem for that reason, probably the only Steve Wonder track I will do that for! A clavinet-driven funky groove, it came from 1968's For Once In My Life album. Michael Jackson covered the song in 1971. I like it a lot. It's a rare thing - a Stevie Wonder deep cut.

The Temptations - You're My Everything 1967

This 1967 hit single for The Temptations, with Eddie Kendricks back on lead vocals, has a singalong, irresistible refrain. Boy, just how beautifully deep is that bassline? Truly Heaven-sent. The song is a capella apart from the bass. Superb stuff. (I am talking here about the album version, actually. The single version used on this compilation has sweeping strings and muscular drums on it too. Either versions are stunning).

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Honey Chile 1967

Another robust, upbeat and singalong gutsy number from my beloved Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. From the first drum beats and the brass breaks the song has kick-ass balls. There's always something just so muscularly soulful about MR & The V's songs.

The Four Tops - If I Were A Carpenter 1967

A sublime Tim Hardin cover, If I Were A Carpenter was a classic, with its melodic keyboard intro and ubiquitous, wonderful Levi Stubbs vocal. It features another magnificent James Jamerson bass line. great stuff. One of my favourite Four Tops singles. One of my favourite Motown singles. I love that insistent and melodious keyboard line that underpins the song.

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - I Second That Emotion 1967

For me, this is the definitive version of the song, also covered by Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations. Smokey's voice does it for me, and the backing is brassily punchy too. Also, Smokey wrote it, so he deserves the accolades. 

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - If I Could Build My Whole World Around You 1967

What a great little record this is. Full of poppy delight. I love everything these two laid down, their voices perfectly complemented each other. The song has a lively, soulful vibe to it that I reckon Southside Johnny will have loved. The pair here just deliver the song with an effortless joie de vivre that is thoroughly intoxicating. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joni Mitchell: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - 1977

Joni Mitchell: For The Roses - 1972

Bruce Springsteen: Greatest Hits

Burning Spear: Social Living - 1978

Glam Greats 2: 20 Seventies Sensations

The Beat: You Just Can't Beat It: The Best Of The Beat

UB40: Labour Of Love II - 1989

The Gladiators: Sweet So Till - 1979

Desmond Dekker: You Can Get It If You Really Want - 1970

Pandora's Box: Original Sin - 1989 (produced by Jim Steinman)