Motown Chartbusters: Volume 4

The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back 1969 

I Want You Back needs no introduction, does it? It is a wonderful piece of pop perfection. I have known the record now for over fifty years and I never, and I mean never, get tired of it. From that rolling, descending piano intro through its funky guitar, infectious bongos and frantic vocals it is just a pure delight. "A boo-boo-boo-boo-boooh...". Indeed. Love it. It is one of Motown's greatest songs of all time and is up there as one of the greatest pure pop songs of all time too. The Jackson 5, Motown's last big mighty discovery, were here. And how. Michael was the original rock and roll baby - barely into double figures but he sure knew how to sing the blues.....

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - The Onion Song !970

The Onion Song is lyrically goofy, even faintly ludicrous, but Marvin and Tammi attack it with such verve and energy that it's pretty much irresistible. I've heard it so many times, though, that it is like an old piece of furniture. The world is just a great big onion, indeed.

The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) 1965

Impossibly catchy and full of superb harmony vocals and, of course, stunning lead vocals from the great Levi Stubbs. Although poppy, it is magnificently played by The Funk Brothers, Motown’s “house band” and are just magnificent examples of peerless Motown singles of the time. Nice big, deep saxophone solo in there too.

The Supremes - Up The Ladder To The Roof 1970

In late 1969/early 1970, Berry Gordy had actually washed his hands of the group because he wanted Syreeta Wright instead of Jean Terrell as the replacement for Diana Ross. Producer Frank Wilson gave him an adamant "no", so he sulked off and left them to it. Well, Gordy needn't have worried because Up The Ladder To The Roof is an absolutely stonker of a hit single - catchy, melodic and the girls' voices in perfect harmony. It has that typically very early seventies Motown sound. I Love It. Check out that groovy wah-wah guitar sound. Everything about this track is so damn perfect. 

The Temptations - I Can't Get Next To You 1969

The Temptations at their tip-top chart-busting best here. I Can't Get Next To You has a super intro in the creaking, opening door and "hold it - wait a minute - listen" vocal before it kicks into a magnificent piece of lively, funky, punchy Motown pop. It is simply peerless. Man - those alternating vocals and the energetic, pulsing rhythm. It never lets up for a second. Perfect late sixties Motown. 

Marvin Gaye - Too Busy Thinking About My Baby 1969

This corker of a song had been around since 1966 when it appeared on the Temptations' Gettin' Ready album. Marvin Gaye had a huge hit with it here. Despite its 1969 release date and success, it still retains that classic Motown sound that makes one think it is from 1965-67.

Stevie Wonder - Yester-You Yester-Me Yesterday 1969

Originally a 'b' side, eventually an 'a' side, Yester-Me, Yester-You, Yesterday is a big slice of bassy, soulful beauty and was deservedly a huge hit for Stevie. He was on a roll, singles-wise in this period - hit after great hit. 

Diana Ross & The Supremes - Someday We'll Be Together 1969

A final classic from Diana Ross & The Supremes (allegedly) in Someday We'll Be Together, which lyrically seems to go hand in hand with the fact that the group were breaking up. The song was intended to be Ross's first solo single but it ended up being credited to the group, although I'm not sure if Mary Wilson or Cindy Birdsong actually appeared on it. Research tells me that the backing vocals were supplied by Maxine and Julia Walters, so it is not a Supremes song at all, despite history telling us that it is. Berry Gordy wanted it accredited to the group to fit in with the "farewell" theme.

The Jackson 5 - ABC 1970

Could The Jackson 5 follow up something is wonderful as I Want You Back? Sure they could! Despite its playground-inspired chorus it's an absolute killer of a track and almost (but not quite) matches its illustrious forerunner. I can't help but feel happy whenever I hear it. All these years later I'll just never tire of it. It is one of those all-time great tracks that requires no introduction of extra comment from me really, does it?

Stevie Wonder - Never Had A Dream Come True 1970

The vocal for the enjoyable singalong and catchy Never Had A Dream Come True was recorded in late 1969, however. It is up there with Stevie's classic singles from the late sixties/early seventies, before he had become more of a full-on album artist. It definitely has that throwback vibe to its sound, understandably, given its recording history. I love it from the very first typically Motown drum intro and those "doo-doo-doo" backing vocals. When Stevie arrives - well, surely everyone is singing along. It's simply a great song, isn't it? Stevie had so much innate soul.

Jimmy Ruffin - Farewell Is A Lonely Sound 1969

Released as the 'a' side in the UK and making the top ten, Farewell Is A Lonely Sound is just three minutes of Motown Heaven. It is well known by many by now. No need for further comment from me, apart to say that Ruffin's voice never sounded better, yes, it equals What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted. It dated from 1967 but its appeal is timeless.

The Four Tops - Do What You Gotta Go 1969

Up there with one of my favourite Motown or Four Tops songs of all time. It is a simply gorgeous, heartbreaking song of loving devotion doomed to failure. Levi Stubbs' vocal is monumental - deep, soulful and moving I find this a most emotional song and it gets me all nostalgic for my lovelorn teenage years when I used to wallow in the self-inflicted misery of songs such as this one. 

Diana Ross & The Supremes & The Temptations - I Second That Emotion 1968

A massive hit single for the Motown "super group", Smokey Robinson's I Second That Emotion is wonderful, outdoing Robinson's original for verve and vitality. The vocals are simply superb on this. Diana Ross was never my favourite Motown female vocalist, (I always preferred Martha Reeves and Gladys Knight), but she is towering on this one.

The Temptations - Cloud Nine 1969

Cloud Nine is a superb, muscular number with an outstanding deep, bassy stereo sound that just blasts out of your speakers. The song was somewhat controversial due its drug references to overcoming your problems by getting high up on cloud nine. Released as a single in late 1968, its sound is very much one of the first in the "psychedelic soul" sub-genre brought to us by Norman Whitfield. Just get a load of those cymbals, and the bongoes too.

Jr. Walker & The All-Stars - What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) 1969

Oh, Jr. Walker, my man. How many great songs can that guy have recorded? Loads of them. From its first archetypal blaring saxophone wails the song is an absolute winner. It was a song that merged Walker's industrial strength sax-driven power with the hooky, poppy and soulful Motown sound. The result was perfection.

Diana Ross - Reach Out And Touch (Somebody's Hand) 1970

The well-known, dramatic Reach Out And Touch (Somebody's Hand) really needs no introduction. I find it a sort of difficult song to describe other than it is quality. Those breezy "ba-ba-ba" harmony vocal bits are wonderful. It appeared on Diana's 1970 eponymous debut solo album.

Secondary, 2 of 3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles