Motown Chartbusters: Volume 6

Diana Ross - I'm Still Waiting 1971

A huge number one UK hit here for Diana Ross with a song that is always considered a Motown classic yet isn't quite in the Dancing In The Street/Reach Out I'll Be There style. It is a sweet tale of childhood love delivered in appropriately sugary fashion by Diana. I can't say I have ever been an enormous fan of it, but it is one of those that has a function of bringing a feeling of pure nostalgia.

Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - I Don't Blame You At All 1971

The follow-up single to the number one hit The Tears Of A Clown, I Don't Blame You At All is a really infectious serving of classic Smokey. It is one I have always loved. Its beat and vocal refrain is pretty irresistible. I can't help singing along to the "I don't blame you at all" chorus part, matching Smokey all the way!

Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out 1971

Stevie Wonder delivers a fuzzy, keyboard freakout cover of this Beatles number. So many Motown artists did Motown covers, didn't they? Usually Yesterday. This is a killer, though, grabbing you by the ears and shaking them from its first funky notes. Add to that a Stevie steel harmonica solo, some enthusiastic female backing vocals and you have one hell of a good record. Apparently, it is considered great, musically (technically - something about the 16th note). I wouldn't know, it just sounds good to me.

The Jackson 5 - Never Can Say Goodbye 1971

Never Can Say Goodbye (covered by various other artists) is almost made his own by a precocious Michael. He totally nails the vocals, in a higher pitch to the later single Maybe Tomorrow, so it was probably recorded earlier. The song was subsequently covered in extended deep voice fashion by Isaac Hayes and a few years later in disco style by Gloria Gaynor. Impact Of Brass did a fine instrumental take on it in the same year, 1971.

The Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You 1971

Back to 1966 now for this excellent girl group deep cut. A proper Motown lesser-known gem. I love its vibrancy. It was re-released in the UK in 1971, hence its appearance here, I guess.

R. Dean Taylor - Indiana Wants Me 1970

I first heard the country-ish but chorally-rousing Indiana Wants Me back in 1971 when it hit the UK charts. I have always loved its tragic lovelorn prison tale. As usual, good old R. Dean had penned a total tearjerker. Nothing Motown about it, but who cares? Great song.

The Supremes & The Four Tops - River Deep, Mountain High 1970

The Supremes & The Four Tops pretty much match Ike & Tina Turner's breakneck original of River Deep, Mountain High on this fine hit single. If anything, it has a much better sound than Phil Spector's notoriously lo-fi muffled original. Incidentally, a bit of trivia for you is that Ike played no part on the recording of the Ike & Tina song, it was just Tina and Spector's kitchen sink orchestra.

The Temptations - Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) 1971

Just Your Imagination (Running Away With Me) is a sublime, perfect creation and is regularly included in those "all time Motown best of" lists. Rightly so. From the bass intro, via the strings and the backing vocals through to Eddie Kendricks' beautiful lead vocal (his final one for The Temptations) the song is peerless. Oh, and how could I forget Paul Williams "every night on my knees I pray" solo on the bridge? 

The Supremes - Nathan Jones 1971

The Supremes released some absolutely great singles during this period. The wonderful Nathan Jones stands as evidence of those great singles. It is one of the best. What a great track it is. I love it to death. Rumbling bass, thumping drums, clunking piano, wah-wah guitar, intoxicating percussion and the girls on perfect vocal form. It should be in any "best of Motown" compilation. It employed the studio technique known as "phasing" that John Lennon had used on the Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows, particularly in the middle and end bit. Also joining the group on vocals was well-known vocalist Clyde King.

The Four Tops - A Simple Game 1972

Simple Game was a big, deep, orchestrated and romantic ballad with a powerful Levi Stubbs lead vocal as well as vocal contributions from all the group. It is full of superb vocal harmonies but it is not my favourite of their singles, I find it a bit too bombastic and less catchy than many of their other hits, despite its distinctive "diddit-deer" chorus bit. That brass backing is very evocative however. It's a bit of a grower, I have to admit. It dated from the period when Motown relocated from Detroit to Los Angeles and was close to the end of The Four Tops' time with the label. In fact I think it was their penultimate Motown single until their return in 1983.

The Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You 1971

Now for a re-released bona fide piece of Motown Heaven. Dating from 1965, it takes you right back there as soon as you hear it. It stands out in the midst of this collection as having a totally different sound. Along with The Velvelettes' These Things Will Keep Me Loving You, it is the only really stereotypical mid-sixties Motown song on here. It reached number three in the UK charts in the late summer of 1971 and invariably appears in Motown "best of" playlists. Classic stuff. 

The Temptations - It's Summer 1971

It's Summer was the only traditional, Motown-style love song - with those typical Temptations harmonies to the fore - on its album, 1970's Psychedelic Shack. However lovely it is, though, it sits somewhat incongruously with the rest of its album's "conscious" offerings. This was right in the middle of the group's psychedelic soul period, remember.

Diana Ross - Remember Me 1971

Remember Me is a classic Diana Ross solo hit single, very early seventies in its sound and wonderfully hooky with a memorable final line of its chorus - "remember me as a good thing".It is one of the best songs from songwriting team Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson and a permanent fixture in any of those Motown best of playlists. Ross's vocal is one of her most powerful. 

The Jackson 5 - Mama's Pearl 1971

The catchy Mama's Pearl was a big hit single, and is in that ABC-I Want You Back-The Love You Save upbeat and totally irresistible vein. Listening to it even now is just such a pleasure. It is full of youthful vigour and energy. I love it. It was released to compete with The Osmonds' One Bad Apple single, which was very Jackson 5-ish. Both the songs are good ones, let's be honest, but I was always a Jackson 5 kinda kid.

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - (Come 'round Here) I'm The One You Need 1971

A 1966 number here, re-released in the UK in 1971. It is an orchestrated, pounding number typical of much mid-sixties Motown material. Indeed, it sounds very Four Tops-ish in that respect. it is not typical Smokey at all. 

The Four Tops - Just Seven Numbers (Can Straighten Out My Life) 1970

After Still Water (Love), we hadn't heard from The Four Tops for a while. They ended the year (1970) with the strong, tough ballad Just Seven Numbers (Can Straighten Out My Life).

Secondary, 2 of 2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

Blondie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

The Temptations: My Top Ten Singles