Rod Stewart: Footloose & Fancy Free - 1977

 

This was perhaps the last completely credible Rod Stewart album for many a year. The first five had been excellent, the two "American" ones - Atlantic Crossing and A Night On The Town were more than acceptable. 

This was another one recorded since he became a Transatlantic superstar and the quality was still pretty good, just about holding on in there. Critically, I have seen it regularly panned as a lazy, complacent offering, at odds with the spirit of punk that was everywhere in 1977. I have to beg to disagree here. The next album meets that description in some ways, but this one, in my opinion, still has a lot to offer. 

Everyone knows saucy old Rod's Stonesy lusty, riff-laden rocker, Hot Legs. Again, it is corny and contrived, but it rocks, it has to be said, with some great guitar and vocals. "I love ya hunaaaay - da da da da daaah". I must get my wife to dig out her "jet black suspender belt" again. Steady on now.....You're Insane is a grinding piece of funk-rock with an industrial-sounding guitar and a bluesy rhythm. This is Stewart on Faces-style rocking form, which was so good to hear. 

You're In My Heart is a gorgeous, anthemic singalong paean in praise of a lover, which, although somewhat cheesy in places, is also totally infectious and endearing. "The big-bosomed lady with the Dutch accent who tried to change my point of view..". What a great line. I also learnt what (Aubrey) Beardsley prints were. I love the song - packed full of nostalgia for me. 

Born Loose was an another solid, upbeat rocker which owes more than a passing nod to The Rolling StonesStar Fucker in both its melody, pace and its slightly risqué lyrics. The line "I wanna get a belly full of beer" comes directly from old mate Elton John's Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting). The track finishes with a bit of Midnight Rambler guitar and harmonica interplay. 

The one track that doesn't convince me is the strangely slowed-down version of Diana Ross & The Supremes' classic hit You Keep Me Hangin' On. For some reason it has never done it for me and sounds clumsy. The experimentation is interesting, but flawed - its Deep Purple-esque organ intro and rock guitar riff doesn't fit the interpretation of the song at all. It is also, at over seven minutes in length, way too long- he would have been better covering it straightBetter is this slow, soulful and impressive cover of saucy soul sister Millie Jackson's guilt-ridden heart-wrencher If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want To Be Right). Rod does the song full credit. 

You Really Got A Nerve - there is a great, little-mentioned Stewart gem here in this atmospheric and haunting, folky ballad. This is certainly no self-satisfied track, it is as good as anything he recorded in the 1974 period onwards and harks back to the halcyon days of the early seventies. Great stuff. 

Oh Lordy, a copper-bottomed Stewart classic to finish with. Yes, I guess I Was Only Joking is slightly cheesy, lyrically, but who cares, I bloody well love it. It has some seriously good mid-song guitar from Jim Cregan - an acoustic solo at that. Every time I hear the song it tingles my spine and gets me thinking it is 1977 again. 

"In and out of jobs, running free, waging war with society....my Dad said we looked ridiculous......boy we broke some hearts....Suzie baby you were good to me, but you took it all too seriously....". 

How many great lines were in this one song? Those quoted are only a few....Nice one Rod, who cared what the punks thought, eh? Overall, this is an underrated album and deserves more than the occasional listen. Things got considerably worse from now on, remember. 

Popular posts from this blog

Faces: Faces At The BBC (Live)

Dr. Feelgood: Down By The Jetty - 1975

Eric Clapton & Friends: The Breeze - An Appreciation Of J. J. Cale - 2014

U2: Songs Of Innocence - 2014

The Who: Who Are You - 1978

Eric Clapton & J. J. Cale: The Road To Escondido - 2006

Van Morrison: Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast - 1984

Eric Clapton: Eric Clapton - 1970

Trojan Presents: The Spirit Of '69

Mud: A's, B's & Rarities