Virgin Front Line: Sounds Of Reality Box Set


What do you normally associate with reggae recordings from the roots period in particular (and before)? What they call "snap, crackle and pop", that's what - the scratchy sound of a needle hitting a groove, accompanying hiss and an often muffled mono sound to boot. Not on all of them, of course, but certainly a fair amount.

Well, if you have, like me, wanted to hear seventies roots material in perfect, clear but still trademark bassy, sublime stereo sound then you have finally got your wish. This excellent five disc box set from the seventies glory years of roots reggae from Virgin Records is an absolute aural delight - the finest collection of roots material from this period that I have ever heard. It really gives a new life to these records. It is truly revelatory - the bass, the guitars, the drums, the brass, the stereo. It's God-given (or should I say Jah-given?).

The standard is set right from the outset with The Mighty Diamonds' Right Time, U-Roy's Natty Rebel and Declaration Of Rights by Johnny Clarke. I-Roy with Don't Touch I Man Locks, The Gladiators with Looks Is Deceiving, Freedom Fighters by Delroy Washington, U-Roy's The Great Psalms and Keith Hudson's Civilisation continue the disc one quality. We also get a rarity in the hard-hitting dub poetry of It Dread Inna Inglan'

Other notable artists and tracks featured on disc two are the Twinkle Brothers with I Love You So, Culture's Holy Mount Zion, Love We A Deal With by Big Youth and Tapper Zukie's Tribute To Steve Biko. Althea & Donna make an appearance too with Make A Truce, as does the great, gruff tones of Price Far I on Foggy Road and No More War

Disc three gives us Gregory Isaacs with Lonely Girl and Let's Dance, The Abyssinians with South African Enlistment, Sly Dunbar's Rasta Fiesta, Big Youth's The Upful One and U Brown's Weather Balloon. Prince Far I's Borno Dub is a killer dubby chatter too. The roots is top quality throughout. I could name-check them all, to be honest.

Discs four and five treat us to extended disco mixes and from the vaults rarities - highlights being The Twinkle Brothers' Africa, Prince Far I's Throw Away Your Gun, Doctor Alimantado's Slavery Let It Go, U Brown's Black Star Liner, Gregory Isaac's Mr. Brown and All Wi' Doin' Is Defendin' by Poet & The Roots. Some of these lengthy workouts are really impressive groovers - deep and bassy with fine dubby passages. You will think you are at Notting Hill Carnival in the mid-late seventies, but with wonderful stereo sound and no air of menace in the air. 

Top roots. Irie!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Punk: My Top Ten Singles

Rod Stewart: My Top Ten Singles

The Rolling Stones: My Top Ten Singles

The Beatles: My Top Ten Singles

Roxy Music: My Top Ten Singles

David Bowie: My Top Ten Singles

Stevie Wonder: My Top Ten Singles

Queen: My Top Ten Singles

Elton John: My Top Ten Singles

Joni Mitchell: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - 1977