Ellen Foley: Nightout - 1979


Produced by Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson. This is a Springsteenesque New York City rock album of the highest order. The opener, the Spectoresque majesty that is We Belong To The Night is superb and Ellen's voice is powerful, just as we knew her from the vocal duet on Paradise By The Dashboard Light on Meat Loaf's iconic Bat Out Of Hell

What's A Matter Baby is like a 60s Phil Spector girl group song, and then there is a rocking cover of The Rolling StonesStupid Girl which vastly improves on the original. 

In late 1979, Philip Rambow was said to be one of the most promising new singer-songwriters. What happened to him I wonder? The first of his tracks here, Night Out, is just great, such an NYC rock song, bristling with late-night Springsteen-esque street rock atmosphere. 

Rambow's other track, the chunky, powerful Young Lust is excellent too. Ellen's voice and approach making me feel all, shall we say, distracted. Her delivery is urgent and mega-sexy, particularly at the end when she reaches her crescendo and blurts out "young lust!!". Lordy, I need a lie down.

Graham Parker's Thunder And Rain is another punchy rocker, as is the frenetic, riffy and downright irresistible rock of HideawaySad Songs is catchily appealing and Ian Hunter's plaintive ballad, Don't Let Go, is a heartbreaking closer to what was a very impressive album, albeit one very much of its time. It always brings back great memories for me. I caught her live in 1980 at the old "Venue" in London's Victoria, touring this album. Excellent show it was too.

Comments

  1. Is she the one that sang on the Clash's Hitsville UK? I always forget if it's her or Ellen Shipley. There used to be all these Ellens whose records I used to see in the used vinyl but I never heard them. Hitsville UK is actually my favorite song on Sandinista. As a matter of fact, it may be my favorite Clash record ever. I wonder if We Belong to the Night is the same one as the Pat Benatar hit. That was all Phil Spectory too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Ellen Foley on Hitsville UK (check my Sandinista review). She was Mick Jones's girlfriend for a while. He and Joe Strummer wrote most of her Spirit Of St. Louis album (again, check the review).

      The Pat Benatar song is simply called We Belong.

      Delete
  2. Do you remember another album that someone in the Clash produced and they all play on it and she was the girlfriend of one of the guys in the Clash? Pearl Harbour was her name and I loved that album. It was like rockabilly and it was really great fun. It had Fujiyama Mama on it. I had it on CD.

    I just went to look it up to see which Clash guy it was and I found this article here and it tells all about it.

    https://www.thepunksite.com/news/pearl-harbours-1980-album-dont-follow-me-im-lost-too-gets-expanded-reissue/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was vaguely aware of this one. The Clash loved their rockabilly.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know she actually married him. For some reason I thought it was Joe Strummer and not Paul Simonon. How do you pronounce his name anyway? I don't think I've ever heard Simonon pronounced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sim-o-non, with the emphasis on "sim" - SIMMANON

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joni Mitchell: Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - 1977

Joni Mitchell: For The Roses - 1972

Glam Greats: 20 Seventies Stompers

Bruce Springsteen: Greatest Hits

Glam Greats 2: 20 Seventies Sensations

The Beat: You Just Can't Beat It: The Best Of The Beat

The Gladiators: Sweet So Till - 1979

Desmond Dekker: You Can Get It If You Really Want - 1970

UB40: Labour Of Love II - 1989

Third World: 96 Degrees In The Shade - 1977